Thursday 4 February 2016

Editorial Design

For this brief I was tasked with designing a 16 page documents showcasing different forms of design from pc to mobile and print. This would include a Double page spread, a responsive design mock up, a storyboard as well as a set of scrolling device designs.

Follow Harry's board Swiss Design on Pinterest.

During the first week of this brief I set to work researching what was already out their and getting my head around the layouts off different mediums that were used. Such as how newspapers layout their stories but then how the same story was shown on their own website.

Follow Harry's board Publication / Layout on Pinterest.

Following this the next week I started to jot down my different ideas and working them out. As such taking some of the ideas into photoshop and illustrator to work with them. This including doing some photo manipulation to see if I could craft something from photos already out their and also to creating my own images from scratch such as tennis and baseball pitches.

 

With the main focus being on a sport I went with tennis as I had a firm grasp on the rules and environment which made the ideas much easier to work with.

Double Page Spread:




Scrolling Devices:



Responsive Design:



Storyboard:


Reflection:


I enjoyed making this multipage document, I found working on my own little zine to be really interesting and engaging especially when I started to do a side project away from this using my own photos and working them into play.
As for this piece based on swiss design, I found the overall completion okay. I wish I had more time and ideas around the sports based medium in which I had to design with. Due to this I feel my design work in Illustator and photoshop fell a little flat, as I don’t think I was doing the Swiss Design justice as I could tear into the stripping away of elements of the game of tennis without losing the sense that it was still tennis being represented.  However I feel the storyboard and horizontal scrolling devise do really work with this style, I just wish that idea could have been seen throughout all of my designs. Given another chance I’d like to try more type styled designs and move away from the over thinking of the game I was working with.





No comments:

Post a Comment