Saturday 27 December 2014

Graphics Texture Photography

Carrying on from my work with fabrics to make a bunch of textures. Taking all these over to the photography area. I set up a single light and used a white photography table set up to give a clear background. However I wasn't to fussed about the background in these shots as my goal was to get in really close and take some super close up marco shots of these fabric piece.


Above are all 60 shots I ended up taking, if you look closely you'll see the first few shots were over exposed. After a few tweaking in manual I ended up changing the iso and got the right lighting I wanted for these texture shots. This was mainly down to using a preset camera in college and not my own but overall these first shots will still be used somewhere in my work for textures in photoshop. So I've kept them either way.



Possibly my favorite shot as of the amount of depth and detail captured.



The 4 above shots are just some of my favorite ones that I ended up taking from this exercise. I really love the amount of depth that is visible after getting in nice and tight with a macro lens. These will work really well in photoshop for adding some nice textures to different works.  
After ever 3 or 4th shot I ended up changing the position and intensity of the light to try and give different shadows in the shots. I feel this is most seen in my final shot. Having the light coming in from the left making the centre of the pom pom look extra dark. Coupling that with the depth of field with the back pom pom makes this shot really interesting to look at I feel. It'll also work well as a textural piece for something with a lot of focus needed on the right side of the image. 
Overall I found this a very useful exercise and typically I just tend to use free textures or use digitally generated ones for my piece. However having some real shot textures will come in handy I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment