Sunday 12 October 2014

Expressive Typography

At the start of one of my last introduction lessons to Graphics, as a warm up exercise I was tasked with producing an A2 sized sheet of Expressive Typography. Expressive typography in this sense was to express the meaning of the words given to me by only using the letters of said words. Such as the word 'Crash' could be represented by having the letters falling down or two words of 'Crash' almost crashing into one another.


As seen above I used such words as:
Space
Repetition
Elimination
Compression
Expansion
Popcorn
Imperfect
Addition
Echo
Separate
Mutation

As such I tried to use the meanings of these words to create some unique expressive typography. Some words were easier then others. Such as Expansion and Compression were pretty simple in the fact you could make the letters expand or be wrote closer to one another.
Mutation and Elimination were a lot trickier. Trying to find a way to show the meaning but also still allowing the word to be read. In mutations case I ended up writing the word twice but slightly ajared to the side almost giving it an imperfect shadow. Like it had grew extra letters from itself, which worked really well I thought. With Elimination, as I got closer to the end of the word I started not writing part of the letters, as if they had be removed through some sort of 'elimination'.
Over all I really enjoyed this exercise as it made me think and got my mind set to thinking straight away.

No comments:

Post a Comment