Sunday 12 October 2014

Photoshop: Clone Tool

Following on from my 3D Object light photography the next step was to use photoshop to improve these photos and one such thing to improve my photos was to clean up the backgrounds as they weren't completely clean. They had smudges and crease marks and one of the best tools in photoshop to remove them is the 'Clone Stamp Tool'.
Even though I consider myself pretty adapt and know my way around photoshop I had never used this tool before. Typically when I wanted to remove blemishes I'd use the dropper tool and paint in and around the marks I wanted to remove till I'd looked right. However the Clone tool at least to me felt a lot faster and easier to use.

Above is just a quick side by side view of how i was working. Having the original up next to what i was editing help me get a good view on what I was working with.

Above is my original photos blemishes and all zero editing so far.




























The final edited photo is now above. After a lot of zooming in and out in and out, I finally got the
picture to stage that I thought was complete. As you can see by comparing the original photo and this edit version, the background is much more clear. After that I gave the whole piece a little touch up with the brightness and contrast and then played around with the showers and It was done. I really like this tool as what would have taken me easier twice the time with the dropper tool the clone tool
has accomplished super fast and is something I will be using from now on.

Now the clone tool is very good for cleaning up photos but I wanted to experiment with it on a larger scale. So i increased my clone copy size to 2500+ and went to work manipulating and creating a very abstract sort of piece from my completed photo. I wasn't really aiming to create anything in particular but I ended up with what would could almost be worked into to create a cityscape.




No comments:

Post a Comment