Thursday 9 October 2014

Fashion Drawing / Sketches

Not my forte at all, I'd consider my drawing strengths to lie in a field that is much more abstract or closely confined. Such as drawing a head or a torso but drawing a full person in proportion is something I struggle with even with near daily practice.  So having to draw fashion sketches wasn't something I considered myself confident in but I went into it with an open mind as always a created a few quick sketches which i felt held some sort of female form.


























As seen above I tried a few different styles First of all truing a very basic block style and then going for a more elegant head title which i feel looks very nice but I was still drawing the shoulder a little to broad. So on the next 3 drawings I wanted to try something a little different, so for the first I went with a different position. Instead of using a straight line for a base, i went with an expanded 'S' which allowed me to get a form in which I could crate a popped shoulder, hip and arm. I feel this came out rather well compared to the original quick sketches even if this was also just another fast sketch. Next I used a different material and tried to quickly sketch another front facing female, however this one I didn't feel worked very well as the charcoal smudge a little to much and made the sketch look very unrefined.
Finally is very much a Fashion Illustration I photocopied a female sketch out of an illustration book and then collage it into my sketchbook on top of newspaper to help break up what I did next. Which was to take another photocopy of my print work  and i cut it up into sharp smaller pieces which I then collage onto the photocopy to create a skirt. I really like the way this turned out as it is very crisp and sharp. If i were to do it again I'd like to make a full dress utilising 2 or 3 different prints to add depth and emphasise shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment