Wednesday 1 October 2014

3D Letter Make - Needle & Thread

Carrying on with the currently theme of typography in graphics, I was tasked with making a 3D letter that I would then at a later date photograph with a single light to look at how shadows work. First however i needed to make a letter and since my cliche/phrase I'd been using for the past few objectives was 'Honesty is the Best Policy' I went with the letter 'H'.
I didn't just want to make any old clean cut letter 'H' though as my phrase has a lot of hidden meaning. So i decided to go to Hobbycraft who sell single letters made out of brown tape and pick up a letter 'U'. Which i then tripped apart to have 2 long sections and a curved section which i cut out to be straight. Then i got out the needle and thread.


First I punctured some holes in the front and back of all the pieces so I had some sort of guidance to where I should be sewing

























After a lot of back and forth I created a quick basic stitch starting in the front then the back. At this point I noticed the piece would look best nothing being a perfect piece so I didn't focus to much on making perfect tight stitches or having the same number on either side. As well as that i decided to wrap some of the thread around the piece as i had drawn a little to much.



Above is the final piece, After repeating the same method on the first second i did the same for the second. Sticking with the red thread. Once i had it all connected to the point I felt it wouldn't fall apart when stood up, i added some green thread just to help break up the mass of brown paper texture. I think for a quick object made for a photo shoot to play around with lighting this turned out rather nice and not being 100% perfect should give the shadow a few nice rough edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment