Wednesday 19 November 2014

Fine Art - Drawing to Music and Sound.

Moving from the 3D pathway, I next jumped into Fine Art which I would consider my strongest area having had all my previous Art & Design background based in such a setting. So jumping straight in, just how I like it. I was handed my first and main brief for this 2 week period entitled 'Music/Sound Through Painting and Sculpture'. Automatically the first thing I thought of was sound waves having to paint to music but I quickly got rid of that idea as it seems all but the easy way out and having worked in such a way to let my ideas flow through me, I read over the brief a couple of times to let it sink in.
After looking it over and being told to focus on the key factors of music such as the Dissonance, Harmony, Discord, Rhythm, Theme, Composition, Progression etc etc. I set out to listening to a piece of music and drawing what I heard. At first I found this quite hard so instead of focusing to hard on a certain part of a song I just listened to the same piece over and over. For the first sketch I drew I just kept on layering and layering what I heard until I ended up with that you see below.


Having chosen to worked in charcoal this piece got very messy very fast, but that's something I found very fun. For all 3 piece I drew I was listening to - Supercell - Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari The reason why I chose this song, other then the fact I utterly love it. Is its a very strong and striking piece with a song piano lead throughout. For the fact it has a quiet start and over powering vocals, drums and piano at parts made it very fun to draw.
The piece above was made over the space of 45 minutes, listening to the track multiple times, layering up the different sounds I heard. From the swaying harmony of the quiet piano at the start, to the sharp structure of the drums. Overall i real love the amount of different marks I was about to create while making this first piece.

For the 2nd piece I was once again listening to Supercell - Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari but this time i wanted to focus on a certain part, for that I chose the piano and its repeated theme which is present throughout the song. Since It has a swaying spiral sort of feel I ended up having my hand flow in such a way I ended up with many a spiral on the page.


I really enjoy this piece, I'd say it is my favourite from the whole day for the fact I love the way the swaying motion is captured in a very dynamic way. I feel its strongly represents the way the piano was played, always leading up to something greater but keeping in tone with the rest of the song and instruments. Not to mention the overlay of marks from the charcoal work really well for this sort of piece.

Lastly I decided to move away from the charcoal which I have apparently become dependent on to make such amazing marks and to try my hand at watercolours.


Not my proudest piece to date as I feel I could still work into this A LOT more, but under the timing of the day this is what I ended up with. For this I was listening to the same piece again but focusing on the very start of the song. Where it starts with a very subtle and quiet piano and then all of a sudden explodes with sounds and emotions. For that I wanted to try and recreate the same sort of sounds with a very simple swaying form into a huge explosion of colour, For that fact i like this piece but I feel I could easily work into this with a lot more colour. I think using watercolour was the wrong median and I would have had a lot more success with acrylic paints. Overall I very much enjoyed this drawing to music and the results I ended up with. I cannot wait to take these forms and marks further into this brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment