Monday 24 November 2014

Fine Art - Final Piece

Carrying on with my Music and Sound brief. After drawing from my sculpture, I decided I wanted to make a final piece based off of this work. Having worked with glass in my previous exploratory phase of 3D, I decided I wanted to go back to glass and give making another piece based off of this work for my final piece.
 So taking my favourite piece from the drawing day. I thought of was to recreate such a piece using glass. At first I thought of making multiple little spirals and then adding them onto a large panel sort of piece. With that idea in mind I went a threw a few quick tests together.


































































Following these tests, where I tried to create a straight block and a circle. I very much scrapped that first idea as The chance of getting the same effect with each little piece would be low and that wouldn't work with the idea I was going for.
My next idea was to make a spiral pattern on a glass panel, but to make it relate back to my drawing I decided on using only found scrap glass not cutting any myself to give it a very raw and rough feeling like my sculpture.
As well as that I didn't want to have gaps between the piece of glass. So I crushed up some smaller blue piece and added them to the gaps to try give the piece a more flowing feel, with everything connected. After this I sent it off to the Kiln with fingers crossed and hoping it came out well on the mould.

















To my surprise the piece came out almost perfectly. I really like the effect the piece gives off. With its vibrant colours and spiral patterning. The only thing I wish I had done differently was add more blue crushed glass and some of it has almost become clear due to the lack of quantity in the gaps. I feel if I had found smaller piece of glass the clear base panel wouldn't have chipped as much giving it a more finished look.
However I really like the way this final piece came out and I am glad I went back to working with Glass for this piece. Overall I've really enjoyed the Fine Art pathway, a lot of that is due to the freedom I had to experiment in ways I wanted to. Aswell as having an interesting brief which Didn't just focus on drawing but let me work with making something and then drawing said piece, making everything feel more complete and my own work. It also allowed me the freedom to chose a medium I wanted to use when creating this final piece, instead of just a drawing or such.

No comments:

Post a Comment